[volt-nuts] 3458A Questions

gbusg gbusg at comcast.net
Wed Sep 21 20:15:15 UTC 2011

Re: Purchase of a used HP 3458A

Here are some things to consider:

1. Because the 3458A lifetime has already spanned 21 years, date of
manufacture has a big influence on the real worth of a used 3458A, IMHO. HP
/ Agilent made many revisions to the 3458A over that time, including
re-design of some boards. In particular the A5 Outboard Controller board was
re-designed several times.

2. The s/n prefix indicates date of major revision, but this isn't a
reliable way to estimate date of manufacture because HP / Agilent sometimes
went very long times (years) between major revisions. For a better estimate
of date of manufacturer, look at the date codes on the various I.C.s on
various boards. Look for the *newest* date code you can find but excluding
date codes on a specific board if its date codes are radically different
than for other boards in the unit, hence the clue that particular board
might have been replaced at some time. Another way to estimate the date of
manufacture is to examine the 3458A's serial number *suffix*. For example
serial numbers in the low 100s were made in 1988. Serial numbers in the tens
of thousands were made many years later, after many hardware and firmware
revisions. It might be nice to look for serial numbers above, say, 8000,
although for the right price I'd certainly go for a lower serial number. The
point is that older units are worth less than newer units, IMO.

3. As Poul-Henning points out, Option 002 probably isn't necessary because
most non-Option 002 units have aged to the point that they now significantly
exceed Option 002 specs. (Option 002 7V Reference drift was spec'd 4ppm /
year, but it's my experience that even non-Option 002 units drift
significantly less than that. Option 002 is a hand-selected LTZ1000 with low
drift.)

4. Look for a unit with Firmware Rev 8 or above. You can determine this via
the front panel command "Rev?". For the right price a unit having a lower
Firmware Rev would still be a good deal, but the point is that the low
Firmware Rev would be another sign of an older unit, probably having some
older Rev boards and older parts inside as well. Note: In many cases an old
unit might have been retrofitted with newer firmware, so later Firmware
Revs, alone, are not proof of the date of manufacture.

5. The older A5 Controller boards used three Dallas Semiconductor NVRAM to
store Cal Constants and DMM stored states. Those NVRAM I.C.s have
non-replaceable internal batteries that were spec'd to last 10 years (but in
practice probably last something like 14 years). If you end up with an older
version A5 Controller board, as Poul-Henning points out, retrieve the
constants in your old NVRAM before their batteries crash and it's too late.
It's somewhat expensive and inconvenient to replace those three I.C.s, so a
much newer unit having the latest version A5 board (HP p/n 03458-66547) is
highly desirable and worth significantly *more* than older units, IMO. Note:
older units can be retrofitted with the newer version A5 Controller by
ordering Agilent Update Kit p/n -3458-80047. Note that the newer version A5
Controller is completely redesigned and has user replaceable batteries.

6. Be sure to perform the Self Test from the front panel. The meter *must*
pass Self Test or you're probably looking at a very expensive repair.

7. Additionally, if possible run a "Time Drift" test per Service Note
3458A-18 to make sure your A3 A/D board is OK. If the meter fails this test,
you're probably looking at an expensive A3 board repair.

Cheers!
Greg