[volt-nuts] 3458A questions

Chris Erickson ericksonc2 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 19:48:41 UTC 2011

>Bottom line -- if you're willing to take some chances, buy a well-used
machine and then be prepared to spend as much as >$2200 to get it right --
that's the flat-rate fix everything that needs fixed and cal it price from
Agilent -- that's a >very good deal, if the box is really sick. If you want
working and cal'ed when it hits your door, buy one of the $5000 - >6000
units that are cal'ed to NIST with a guarantee and a one-year re-cal
included. Or of course, spend the $9000 for a >new one. In the end, mine was
1/3 the price of a new one and 1/2 the price of one of the
used-but-guaranteed ones. I was >lucky. Thing is, over the years I spent way
more than three grand on other stuff that wasn't as good -- shoulda done
>right off.

>Dick Moore

If Agilent will fix everything, bring it up to specs, and calibrate it no
matter what's wrong with it for $2200, then why would I spend $5000-6000 or
more for one that is in good shape - even if calibrated? Just grab the first
bargain that comes along for $1500-3000, send it straight to Agilent and be
money ahead. Seems the better course of action to me if that price is
accurate - do they really offer this service?

I'm trying to start up a cal lab on a shoestring budget.

Chris Erickson