[volt-nuts] How to wire a serial cable for a Solartron 7151

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Sat Apr 14 21:22:56 UTC 2012

On 04/14/2012 12:19 PM, David C. Partridge wrote:
> Hmmmm I may be getting somewhere. but not quite sure where.
>
> I swapped Tx and Rx, RTS and CTS so I had a very basic null-modem connection.
>
> With the DIP switches set for 9600 baud, Space Parity and 2 stop bits.
>
> I set Hyperterminal up for 9600,8,S,2
>
> When I connect I now get output from the meter, but it is garbage.
>
> Knpxpywpp`@6`
> knpxtwvyp@`@
> KNpxxtvtp``6@
> kNpyrpqtp@`6@
> kNpyututp@`@
> KNpyypvup`@6`
> KNqpruuyp`@6`
> kNqpvpwwp``6@
>
> If I set hyperterminal to any other settings I get nothing at all.
>
> This almost sounds like the problem that people who use TTL serial have with inverted logic levels.
>
> The problem is identical if I try with another 7151.

Just a stab in the dark here - perhaps ASCII / HEX interpretation?

I know with cutecom on Linux there is an option to deal directly in HEX.  If it
is not set correctly (for example, when talking to an FEI 5680A rubidium
frequency standard) you do get "garbage".

Hope this helps.

Bob Smither, Ph.D.                                 smither at c-c-i.com
The Three Great Lies:
1.  Your check is in the mail.
2.  I'll respect you in the morning.
3.  We're from the government and we are here to help you.