[volt-nuts] HP3457

Fred Schneider pa4tim at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:21:44 UTC 2012

I looked at the DC specs of the 3457 and thats the same as the solartron. I am looking sub uV like the solartron. The 3457 does not have that. So I think, regarding your reactions and the price, i'd better first take a look at the solartron. Modify it a bit ( cooling-ribs on the outside, one on top above the transformer and one on the back where the regulators should be ( i'm told, not looked yet) maybe a fan blowing over the ribs.) replace the keylock with a switch ( i have not a good key, it works but not smooth) then put banana busses instead of the back nr2 input connector on the front and replace the mainsswitch to the front. ( instead of climbing on a hair to reach the switch)

I printed the service manual of the 7061 and i think I first do the tests ( psu, frequency, input current ect) i also noted my zero problem is because I shorted both inputs but i need to short the reference and front inputs. That could explain why zero often does not work ( error, zero to large or something lile that)

I bought a Keithley 2000 last year, it was comparable to the Fluke 8046 but around 400 euro cheaper. I bought it straight from Keithley including calibration. Besides that I have a keithley 196 that was just calibrated when I bought it. ( and a 199)

I was aiming for the holy grale of meters and a 3457 turns out to be a whole different beast. Someone I know bought a 3456 for 225 euro, fresh calibrated, that is 6,5 digits too. So i wondered why is a 3457 so much more expensive.

 But I better wait and save more money in the hope to find one day an affortable 3458.
One should always keep something to dream about :-)

Fred

Fred PA4TIM

Op 21 aug. 2012 om 22:06 heeft John Phillips <john.phillips0 at gmail.com> het volgende geschreven: