[volt-nuts] HP3457

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Wed Aug 22 23:33:19 UTC 2012

The 3457a is younger, has added functions, such as amps, and better
long term accuracy; the 3456a is just a DVM.

The previously posted link has a large comparative database:

http://electronicsandbooks.com/eab1/kb/k0zfca/i0zfca7_.htm

3457a tends to be have more unobtanium, compared to the 3456a.  For
700 euros for a calibrated 3457a, its better to look at new 6.5 digit
DMMs such as the 34410a which I see farnell lists for 850 euros.

http://uk.farnell.com/agilent-technologies/34410a/multimeter-bench-61-2-digit/dp/1440376

or the cheaper 34401a or equivalents from other makers, Fluke, Keithley etc..

again, electronicsandbooks has a wonderful comparative listing.

At 07:21 PM 8/21/2012, Fred Schneider wrote:
>I was aiming for the holy grale of meters and a 3457 turns out to be
>a whole different beast. Someone I know bought a 3456 for 225 euro,
>fresh calibrated, that is 6,5 digits too. So i wondered why is a
>3457 so much more expensive.

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia, PA