[volt-nuts] Agilent 3458A Positive Experience

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Feb 11 05:07:26 UTC 2012

Marv,

My 'home cal' event used a Fluke 731B read by a recently calibrated (by
Ametek) Solartron 7081 and a Gray Inst. Co. 10K resistor read by the 7081
and an HP 3326A feeding a short piece of RG58 connected to a TEK 50 ohm BNC
(f) to BNC (m) termination plugged into a Pomona BNC to banana adapter.

I am away from home this weekend but will be back on Sunday.

As I recall (I will have to refer to the calibration documents) the only
issue for the HP unit was 2 of the 4 AC ranges were off slightly and the
Agilent unit was off on the DC Gain.  When I get home, I will dig the data
out.  Agilent provided an 'as received' assessment and an 'as calibrated'
assessment.

I was amazed that I was able to do such a good job with my instruments.  It
gives me much confidence in the Solartron 7081, 731B, and 10K resistor as
well as the 3326A.

I had no way to really measure the AC voltage from the 3326A and I just used
it to supply the desired amplitude and frequency.  Makes me think the 3326A
is fairly accurate.

Another meter I recently had to calibrate was a 3478A where I needed an AC
current source.

What would the list recommend for a 'source' for AC current, as read by a
3458A, as a 'calibration source' for such efforts?

Joe