[volt-nuts] Agilent 3458A Positive Experience

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Feb 13 02:19:31 UTC 2012

Marv,

The 'home-cal'd' unit 'failed' on only the 'AC VOLT High Freq' for the 10 V
Range with 3 V input at 4 and 8 MHz.  3 V input at 2 and 10 MHz passed along
with all values at the 10 mV, 100 mV, and 1 V ranges.  I used an
uncalibrated HP 3326A, a short piece of RG58 and a Tektronix 50 ohm load to
a BNC to Banana adapter.  Both 4 and 8 MHz failed with an over reading by
about .12 V at 4 MHz and .22 V at 8 MHz.  This suggests that my 3326A
outputs a slightly low amplitude at those frequencies.

All other ranges were cal'd using my Solartron 7081 as a 'transfer standard'
reading my Fluke 731B at 10 V and a Gray Instruments 10 K resistor.  I have
to say that calibrating the 3458A was quite easy, following the instructions
in the Calibration Manual, much easier than calibrating my 3478A that I did
recently.

The Agilent unit failed all of the DC VOLT GAIN except the 100 mV range with
+100 mV input.  The -100 mV input and both + and - inputs for the 1 V, 10 V,
100 V, and 1000 V ranges all failed, though it was very close, all ranges
being off by about 4 ppm.  According to Agilent, all other measurements
PASSED in the 'As Received' category.

Prior to sending them back, I did notice that the Agilent unit read my 731B
10 V about 10 uV higher than the HP unit, even before I 'home-cal'd' the HP
unit.  The HP unit and my Solartron 7081 seemed to agree with in 2 or 3 uV.

Joe