[volt-nuts] DIY Air bath

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Tue Jan 17 12:11:52 UTC 2012

Some DIY ideas for an environmental chamber.  Note, one thing most
don't do is alter relative humidity.  To do that you can inject steam.

A key item is getting a chamber big enough for your need.  The heat
control is fairly easy to design, many approaches.  Cooling to the
40F ish area using a Peltier device is simple solution for a chamber
but its cost efficiency and regulation could be a problem as the cuft
of the chamber grows.  I think the heating part is generally easy and
reliable, its getting the right size to save the labor of building
one from scratch, that has both thermal glass, and insulation to build on.

In the eevblog.com post earlier, Dave uses a reptile incubator, there
is a variant sold as a portable cooler/refrigerator under the Coleman
name but the Peltier is set only to cool.  The ReptiPro 5000 or its
clones, has reportedly unreliable electronics, either the Peltier or
its thermostat are prone to fail early, but its worth a mod to get a
good sized chamber that has the infrastructure to build both a
heating and cooling chamber in one.

You can find incubators new or eBay that will save you the labor of
building more tightly regulated heat only chambers.  Infant animal
incubators, egg incubators and bio-lab incubators are typical search terms.

Toaster or convection ovens work for just heating, and the only value
of changing or supplementing the thermostat is for tighter regulation
and adding a fan to insure the heat is evenly distributed in larger chambers.

If you are lucky to find a used human baby incubator, and have the
room for it, it has both the size, fan, and regulation for good even
heating with portholes for working inside the chamber.

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia, PA