[volt-nuts] 7061 On Board Clock and Battery

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Jun 25 01:23:11 UTC 2012

My 7061 has a single battery installed, B501, a 3.6 V Ni-MH Rechargeable 3
pin battery.  My 7081 has two batteries installed, the same 3.6 V Ni-MH
Rechargeable battery and a ½ AA Lithium Battery that serves as the onboard
clock backup battery.  It is connected with its negative pin to a 47K
resistor to ground and its positive pin to a diode that feeds a connection
that is also fed by another diode from the main power supply.  The common
connection of these diodes feed the clock chip.

On my 7061 there is a location, B101 that appears to be for the same type ½
AA Lithium Battery.  The + pin connects to a diode, in a manner similar to
that described above, and the – pin connects to a ‘space’ for a resistor,
R117, with the other end of the resistor going to ground.  Both the battery,
B101, and the resistor, R117, are missing.

My questions are:

1.	Does anyone have a 7061 with this battery and resistor installed?
2.	If so, what is the value of the resistor, R117, and what type is the
battery?

It seems that this would be an easy addition to get a live clock without the
need to restart the clock each time the meter is turned on.  Or, perhaps
there is a reason why this in not a good idea.

Thanks in advance.

Joe