[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Wed May 9 18:53:05 UTC 2012

On 05/08/2012 12:52 PM, Charles Black wrote:
>    Hi Bob,
>    What a great job you are doing by organizing this cooperative field
>    comparison! It sounds like a lot of work though!
>    Looking at the first lab photo brought back memories of where I started
>    with my new (to me) 3458A three years ago! I hope it is OK to offer
>    suggestions that will make measuring microvolt levels on a 3458A more
>    accurate . Similar techniques can be used on any meter though.
>    I have been periodically monitoring my Datron 4910 and 4912 10V
>    standards for about 3 years looking at measurement  drifts mainly
>    caused by temperature. I have many hours of recorded data looking at
>    0.1 PPM resolution drifts in my system. In order to improve data
>    stability I  had to change my measuring technique from a BNC cable with
>    dual banana adapters (what is shown in the photo) to twisted pair
>    copper wires or shielded twisted pair wires (22 or 24 gauge) to
>    minimize input thermal offsets and settling time. Tin plating on the
>    wires measures about the same offset voltage as copper so it hasn't
>    been a problem to use it so far. If I put a huge thermal mass on my
>    input terminals (plastic dual banana plug) it can take many minutes to
>    stabilize and even then air currents will keep my meter from
>    stabilizing as completely as it can. Today my meter has about -240nv
>    offset voltage from a copper wire short but I see -1.2 microvolt with a
>    shorted dual banana plug, even a gold plated one. I have a shielded
>    dual banana to BNC adapter that's even worse.
>    My 3458A is very temperature sensitive so I constantly monitor the
>    temperature right in front of the input jacks to 0.1 degree C. I try to
>    keep mine at 23 degrees and do frequent ACAL's and repeat the ACAL if
>    more the terminal temperature varies much over a degree from 23C. The
>    TEMP? is also very important to watch and could be used to predict
>    temperature offset error. The TEMP? creeps up over a few months due to
>    dust in the filter but it is easy to clean with a little tap water.
>    The 3458A has a variable resolution feature that can be a problem at
>    high resolutions. Full DC resolution is acheived at NPLC = 1000. Lower
>    NPLC levels can be used to speed up measurements if loss of accuracy is
>    not a concern.
>    My shop has distinct thermal stratification so I try to keep the test
>    unit  I am measuring at the same height as the meter and  close to the
>    meter when doing accurate work.
>    As far as the portable standard goes - it would be great if it had gold
>    plated dual banana spaced terminal posts similar to the 3458A posts for
>    best repeatability and flexibility but, of course, any jacks will work
>    if they have enough time to stabilize.
>    Charlie

Thanks Charlie - great suggestions.

My goal has always been to know the values from the two references in the TS to
with 10 ppm.  For the two refs (nominal 7 Volt and 5 Volt) this is 70uV and 50 uV.

I have one meter here that I can easily see thermal effects on (an old Fluke
845AR - 1uV full scale on most sensitive setting) so I appreciate your notes
about the use of copper wires.

Even though only trying for 10 ppm I appreciate that any source of error that
can be eliminated needs to be considered.

With your permission I would like to add your notes to the page here:

  http://c-c-i.com/ts

so I refer folks that are taking measurements on the TS to them.

Best regards,
Bob Smither                                               bob at smither.net

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of
fighting a foreign enemy.
        -James Madison