[volt-nuts] Impedance bridge information

Fred Schneider pa4tim at gmail.com
Fri May 25 16:12:38 UTC 2012

Hi,
I do not know if it is a topic for here, but it is about precision messurements.
For my collection and learing through measuring the old , "back to the basics" way,  I am looking for a bridge to measure things like small caps, dielectric constants ad other "weard" parameters. I have several VNA's and RLC bridges but they used to make bridges that you can see as a manual VNA. It gave R and jX, sometimes with build in detector and oscillator, sometimes using these external.
But there are so many bridges, from general purpose to special measuring things ( like the resistance from a detonator) and from general purpose to high precision that I am lost. I think GR or Wayne Kerr made the best ones. I'm to young to have experience with them and never seen one for real.

Can someone give me a hint what to search for. For instance the right name of such a bridge ( i think Z/Y or admittance cq impedance bridge) and what is important so I can determ if they are for what I want and not just a allround LCR bridge.

I want to measure the more extreme things like ESR, fF, delectric proporties/losses ect but for most I love old precision measurement instruments which make you think about what you do and have lots of knobs instead of menus.

Fred PA4TIM