[volt-nuts] LTZ1000 reference appnote question

Fabio Eboli fabioeb at quipo.it
Thu Nov 8 01:41:50 UTC 2012

Mitch,are you referring to startup behaviour,
like Bob Smither suggests?

Just now I was trying to imagine the startup
(it's too late for firing up ltspice, I have to sleep :) )
and I was thinking that on startup both inputs
are zero and output can take both ways: go down (remain approx zero)
or go up, depending on input offset.
Is this correct?

If so what determines the correct startup
of the circuit?

Until the output diode is not forward biased
the opamp has no feedback and the output should amplify
any input noise some million times (open loop gain),
so I imagine that is only waiting that the noise on
inputs will steer the output the rignt way to forward-bias
the diode and start the reference.
Does all this makes sense?

Fabio.