[volt-nuts] Fluke 731B parts xref

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Nov 22 07:51:54 UTC 2012

Current regulator diodes are typically JFETs with gate-source tied so
that their Idss is more or less constant over a wide voltage range.
Anything in the 1 mA to 50 mA range can be replicated by selecting
common JFETs for the right Idss, up to 40 V or so, or by selecting
one with slightly higher current, then adding series R in the source
to degenerate it to the right amount. They are not very precise, but
much better than resistive biasing over wide voltage ranges. If
higher current is needed, they can be paralleled. If less than 5 V
overhead, or more than 40 V compliance are needed, it's better to go
with an active circuit with appropriate devices.

Ed