[volt-nuts] How long can standard cells last?

m k m1k3k1 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 07:33:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

Well from that site the tempco is about 5 microvolts per degree, and from the bottom of the page:
The un-saturated cell should have an e.m.f. of 1.0190 volts @ 20°C when new. When the voltage drops to 1.0183 volts, the
      cell should be discarded, as it is no longer stable. Most reputable labs will not certify a cell below this value.

    The NBS recorded data on approximately 600 un-saturated cells. About 5% showed an increase of e.m.f. with time, the average
      change being 28 µV/year. The remaining 95% decrease in e.m.f., at an average of 85 µV/year. Of that group, nearly half
      changed by more than 50 µV/year, and one fourth by more than 100 µV/year. That data suggests that certification at
      yearly intervals is required to insure .01% accuracy. The expected life of un-saturated cells is 7-14 years.

So my guess would be that it is near the end of its life, but measure and see.

MK