[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards

Fred Schneider pa4tim at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 08:47:12 UTC 2012

I have made a LM399 standard, dead bug build, at 10V. A uA723 for powersupply at 15V. In a metalhousing and shielded internal extra using double sided pcb.
It is now 24/7 on for about 5 weeks.
I modified my solartron 7601 so it stays at 38C plus/minus 1 degree internal. ( mounted two heatsincs on top, one above the transformer, a ntc inside, and a speedregulated fan on the main heatsinc. Thanks to your post i started monitoring it. So since a few days that meter is also on 24/7. A few times a day Zi take readings ( i am digital disabled so logging probably always will stay a dream)  Room temp changes from 19 to 24 degrees.

I made a 10 turn potentiometer on the front that gives me some adjusting. Still more as needed but until it is aged enough I keep it like this. Resistors are all 0.02% or 0.01%
One whole turn of the multiturn is around 100 uV.
I adjusted it to 10.000,000 Volt at 19 degrees Celcius. This was a cold mornig and a lot of rain. According to my bones humidity was high. Later that day it became 21 degrees ( heath from instruments and light spots)  It was the 10.000,030V, yesterday a dry and warm day it ( 21 to 24 degrees) raised to 10.000,052) this moring 20 degrees, rain outside, it was 10.000,058
The ten turn pot has a reading ( a dial with two arms like a clock) and  i made the standard so that the pot at 10.000,000 V was at the 5.00 position. Until that, I had to turn it between 4.45 and 5.15 to get it back at 10V. So it still has a total drift around 50 to 100 uV ( monitored it als a few days three weeks back using two meters and they showed the same trend.

But i think I have a problem regarding magnetic fields or other sources because I have strange issues while meauring using the 332 and KV deviders or my LM399.
I looked to it with a friend and he thinks it is some magnetic field or common mode thing.
I had powered everything off, even the lights. Then both 7,5 digit meters showed the same values, turning the polarity did not matter. Both KVs were lineair upto 1 uV. Using my 399 or Fluke 332, also tested the 332 divider dircect.
Then with the lights on severa instruments ect. A big difference if i change polarity, both meters gave different readings, both KV dividers gave excact the same non lineairity. I did this several days and up to about 1 mV !! between 100 mV and 10V but an verage of a few hundered mV) if I power all stuff down exept the 332 and 7106 all is perfect again. All intruments are grounded. I use shielded cables to the meters and from 332 to KVs from Beats me :-(
So I think your standard performs well if it is this stable while tossing around, i wish my 332 and LM399 was that stable ( or more, the environment was more standard friendly becaus all powered  down things are much more stable)

Fred PA4TIM

Op 20 okt. 2012 om 04:27 heeft Bob Smither <smither at c-c-i.com> het volgende geschreven: