[volt-nuts] VS 330 circuit board oddity

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Fri Aug 2 22:20:28 EDT 2013

Of course, before powering up the VS 330, I had to remove the covers and
take a look inside. Everything looked intact and reasonably clean.

You can tell that someone re-painted the top cover. It is glossy and
smooth. The bottom cover is matte finish and textured.

I did see one oddity on the circuit board. There is a broken nylon wire tie
attached to the underside of the main circuit board. You can see it in the
first picture here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19599147/VS%20330%20Board%20-%20Bottom.jpg

Here is a picture of the top side. You can see that the holes straddle the
801 amplifier module.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19599147/VS%20330%20Board%20-%20Top.jpg

You might think that perhaps the nylon tie was there to hold the amplifier
module onto the board, but the module's pins are soldered. The way the tie
is hanging, it looks to me that perhaps something was attached to the
bottom side of the board, underneath the amplifier module.

I'll have to email Krohn-Hite and request a manual. In the mean time, any
guesses?

Also, I am normally inclined to replace old electrolytic caps. Opinions on
whether I should or shouldn't?

Joe Gray
W5JG