[volt-nuts] Fluke differential meters

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 02:35:25 EDT 2013

Hi Joe,
The 893 is worth having as a working instrument. The older ones are collectibles (possibly) or a source of parts. The Voltage reference is a Weston cell which will be well past it's expected life. In particular these meters have a Kelvin Varley voltage divider. This can be used without the meter section working, possibly recased. The plastic switch dials/drums do tend to crack or warp due to srinkage of the plastic though. If theK-V dividers switches are worn out, they are still a good source for precision matched resistors. Perhaps not spot on value but all the resistors in a decade will be very close in value. These can be used for voltage dividers and Hamon resistor units (google Hamon resistor and see http://conradhoffman.com/HamonResistor.html  ). They may not look much but are high performance. There are other precision resitors in these units Take care when removing them, don't apply any force or stress to the resistor body as this can affect
 their performance.

Robert G8RPI.