[volt-nuts] Dial-a-vider

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Sat Aug 10 22:34:23 EDT 2013

I know someone who has a General Resistance Dial-a-vider DV-4107 that I may
be able to trade for. It has input terminals marked "700 V Max" and seven
decade switches. It is also labeled "Input Resistance 100,000 Ohms".

I Googled, but can't find any information at all on this. The closest that
I find is a Dekavider. This one is very similar to the Dial-a-vider, only
not as tall and with different knobs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESI-Dekavider-RV622A-6-Decade-Kelvin-Varley-Voltage-Divider-/171095439907

I  took a peek inside the Dial-a-vider and it looks very high quality. The
resistors appear to be custom made. There is no percentage marked, but each
one has a serial number. There are wire stubs, which I assume are somehow
used to trim things. On the back are pin jacks for each decade, which I
assume are used for calibration.

I did a quick check by hooking it up to my VS330 DC reference and looking
at the output with my HP 3478A, which we know to be off a bit (I assume
that its relative readings should be OK). All but one of the decade
switches give me very accurate steps.

The reason I'm interested in this is not so much for use with a DC
reference, as I already have the VS330. I was thinking about using it for
AC, if I can buy or make a reasonably accurate AC reference.

Is anyone familiar with this particular model? Other comments?

Joe Gray
W5JG