[volt-nuts] Dial-a-vider

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Aug 11 00:19:58 EDT 2013

Joe wrote:

>I know someone who has a General Resistance Dial-a-vider DV-4107   *   *   *
>
>The reason I'm interested in this is not so much for use with a DC
>reference, as I already have the VS330. I was thinking about using it for
>AC, if I can buy or make a reasonably accurate AC reference.

It's a basic 7-decade DC Kelvin-Varley divider.  The Fluke 720A is
generally considered best-of-breed, both for its high quality and its
self-calibration features.  To my knowledge, no manufacturer of these
DC dividers rated them for AC use, and they were not generally built
with non-inductive resistors.  So it might work OK at very low
frequenceis, but everything you did with it would be an "off-label"
application.  Furthermore, the 100k ohm input resistance demands an
ultra-high resistance (impedance) load -- it is designed to be used
with a DC null meter.  But there is no ultra-high impedance AC null
meter, and if there were, stray fields of every sort would wreak
havoc on any measurement you tried to make with it.

For accurate AC measurements or calibration, metrologists use a
"thermal transfer standard" (or "AC/DC transfer standard"), in
conjunction with an AC source and an accurate DC source.  See:

<http://download.flukecal.com/secure/792A____imeng0100.pdf?nvb=20130811035444&nva=20130811040944&token=0aa649a8db6274c6ae587>

Best regards,

Charles