[volt-nuts] Agilent calibration

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 08:15:20 EDT 2013

My HP 8720D VNA went off to Agilent yesterday. I know it is not
volt-nut related, but if anyone wants to look  at the certificate when
I get it back, you are welcome to. I intended scanning it anyway. But
I noticed something interesting looking at the prices of various
calibrations in the UK and USA from Agilent for this VNA, as there
seems to be a premium if you want uncertainties in the USA, but in the
UK there is no extra charge.

In the UK.
Agilent Calibration Per Incident £471.38 (GBP)
Agilent Calibration with Measurement Uncertainties Per Incident £471.38 (GBP)

(The first does say it includes the carriage costs, whereas the second
does not, but I know it does include the carriage cost since I have
paid Agilent to collect it and it was done yesterday.) So in the UK,
there seems no disadvantage in having the uncertainties other than it
takes 7 working days not 5. OK, the two extra days might be
significant to some, but given none of these times are guaranteed, I
don't think one should read too much into that.

Now comparing prices in the USA for the same 8720D
Agilent Calibration Per Incident $ 760.24 (USD)
Agilent Calibration with Measurement Uncertainties Agreement $1208.77 (GBP)