[volt-nuts] Fluke 7000 , 7001 system

Frank Stellmach frank.stellmach at freenet.de
Fri Aug 23 11:48:13 EDT 2013

Hi,

there are plenty of arguments for terminating this system:

1.Fluke has bought this Datron design obvioulsy to eliminate a
competitor, So it's normal, that sooner or later, one of both products
would vanish.
2. It's too expensive to maintain two concurrent systems. Therefore one
had to die, and it's natural, that the original Fluke system would survive.
3. The 7001 contains the LTZ1000, (non A-version, and only one), which
is non-proprietary like the LTFLU ref amp. in the 732B.
4. The 7001 did perhaps not prove its advantage over the 732B, either in
term of stability, or in terms of hysteresis reduction.

We've discussed that on eevblog also, the volatile part of all those
references is the 7.2V => 10V transfer, depending on precision resistors.
The 732B uses specially selected resistors, and the 7001 has this
statistical resistor array. Both have stability figures over 1ppm/yr.,
and to my estimations/calculatiuon, this is mainly due to the
instability of the amplifier resistors.
The ref. amplifiers themselves, using  buried zener diodes, have an easy
potential instability of < 0.3ppm/yr.
Therefore, the 7001 did not have an advantage over the 732B in this aspect.

The promised removing of hysteresis by teperature cycling, as described
in the Pickering patent, will not work correctly in the 7001. The reason
is, that additionally a stabilization temperature of 45°C has been
chosen, to have a smaller drift rate than at 65°C. (see Spreadbury article)

In the Pickering patent a center temperature of at least 65°C has been
sketched, and a symmetrical tempe. cycling pattern is required.
This will not work on 45°C, where +/-20°C is possible only, and this is
not sufficient to remove effects from a trip to temperatures below 20°C,
or even 0°C, as promoted.
Also, in an interval of +/-20°C around the 45°C stabilization
temperature, there is practically not hysteresis effect visible. (This I
could see on the cycling of my both LTZ100 references.)

Therefore, the hysteresis removing technique was not successful to my
opinion in the 7001, making it unnecessarily expensive.

Frank