[volt-nuts] any unheated Vref better than LT1021-7 (at 7 ppm/khr typ.) ?

Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de
Tue Jan 1 23:17:03 UTC 2013

Hello beale,

the VRE305 and VRE3050 references from APEX (formerly THALER) are specced to
have typically 6ppm/kHr.
They are in hermetically ceramic packages.

But in real life applications the long term drift at 25 degrees is only one
of many specs that determine accuracy.
And mostly the long term drift is only valid only for the hermetically tight
package (which is in most cases obsolete).
Additionally  its only a typical value and if you observe the parts there
are large differences from device to device.

Generally you should look for devices with a buried zener and a hermetically
tight package.
(AD586LQ, AD587UQ, LT1031CCH, LT1236AILS8-5, LT1021CCH, MAX6350MJA ...)
And you will have to select out the bad devices if you have high demands.

Hysteresis is another problem which arises if you do not operate the device
at constant temperature.

> 2) I have seen mention of dipping a PCB in molten paraffin as a conformal
> coat.
I cannot believe that this will really help. (But I have not tried this up
to now). I guess you will get a longer time constant for humidity effects.
The problem with humidity is that it takes long time (several days) until
the plastic case or the PCB swells or shrinks.
So even if you mount a hermetically tight package on a PCB you will have a
humidity effect from the PCB shrinking.
Generally you can expect that a DIP device will be more stable than a SMD
device.
And a hermetically device will be more stable than a plastic device.
Additionally you will have to take away mechanically stress of PCB
(humidity) from the PINs of the reference.

On 2 LT1027CCN8-5 devices (only the ground pin soldered to the PCB the
others soldered with VERO-wire)
 I measure a typical humidity drift of around 0.5 ppm/% humidity change.

with best regards

Andreas