[volt-nuts] Low EMF solder

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Mon Jan 21 13:27:21 EST 2013

Please excuse me for asking this... I'm sure it's been covered before, but
without an easy way to search the archives, here goes.

I'm repairing a couple of old Holt 323A Audio Voltage Standards, trying to
make one good one out of two.  These instruments used to have small hanks of
special low EMF solder to use on sensitive areas, but they have long since
vanished from these units.  I've tried using Sn-Pb solders, but the units go
into a tizzy when I use it.

Does anyone know of a source where I could buy a few ounces of the solder?
I think it's a Tin-Cadmium formula, but I guess that because of the Cadmium
content, it's pretty much unobtanium now.  I'm sure that another formula
must exist that is currently being manufactured, but they want to sell a
bunch, not just a few ounces.

Suggestions?

Dave M