[volt-nuts] What really gets calibrated?

Tom Miller tmiller11147 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 28 19:03:51 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

The "as found" measurements are most likely useful to determine if gross
errors were made while the instrument was in use. Say you were using it to
calibrate DMM multimeters in a production environment, you would like to
know that a batch of meters went out with defective calibrations.

If you are getting an instrument calibrated for the first time after
replacing a NVRAM battery, there would not be a need to have that known bad
data recorded.

Many of the newer instruments require entering a known voltage and telling
the instrument to record a calibration constant in its NVRAM.

I think that is mostly correct but if not, please feel free to criticize it.

Regards,
Tom