[volt-nuts] 34401A Why 10M ohm default i/p resistance?

Tony vnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 15:58:19 EDT 2014

Possibly so, but I'd expect that the vast majority of HP 34401A 6-1/2
digit bench multimeters never see/saw > 1kV - even when CRT's were
common. Looking at the specs for several HV probes (1% accuracy was the
best I could find with a quick search), a $10, 3-1/2 digit DVM will be
just as accurate.

  "Many of the accurate ones want to see a 10 meg input."

Well if you want *high* accuracy with such a probe, then you wouldn't
use a 34401A given that it's 10M ohm /P dividor has a tolerance of ± 1%
which would limit the overall accuracy to around .1% at best (for a
1Gohm, 1000:1 passive HV probe).

The 34401A only offers 10G ohm i/p resistance on the .1, 1 and 10V
ranges, switching to 10M ohm on 100 and 1kV ranges. So selecting the
100V range (much easier than using the menus to change the i/p
resistance) automatically selects the 10M ohm i/p resistance. Using a
1000:1 probe, voltages between 1kV and 10kV would lose a digit of
resolution compared to using the 10V range, but 5-1/2 digits is still
way more than needed given the .1% accuracy limited by the 34401A's i/p
resistance tolerance.

All in all, I think providing a minor convenience feature for HV probe
users (not having to manually select the 100V range) is a very unlikely
reason for selecting 10M as the default given that way more measurements
(source > 10 ohms) require the 10G ohm i/p resistance to justify using a
6-1/2 digit instrument.

Tony H