[volt-nuts] New HP3458A

Bill Gold wpgold3637 at att.net
Fri Aug 15 09:57:23 EDT 2014

Randy:

    The blinking square when you push auto zero is perfectly normal.  It is
now waiting for you to give it an answer. By pushing either the "^" up arrow
or "v" or down arrow on the keypad set located below the display on the
lower row left side, you will get the menu options for auto zero of "ON",
"OFF" or "ONCE".  You make your selection and then press the "ENTER" key on
the "MENU/USER" keypad set, lower row right hand side.  The 3458A has a
large set of measurement options that you can select.  Read the manual.
These are accessed either through the IEEE-488 or the front panel keypads.
You can get a refurbished "display" PCB from Keysight for $272 exchange
which should cure all of your display problems.  P/N 03458-66517.  It is
easy to replace.  Read the manual.  Check the Keysight website for details.
SCAL is difficult to check without special equipment such as a AC/DC thermal
converter.  The NVRAM can be an issue depending upon the date codes on the
NVRAM devices.  Replacing them is time consuming but can be done.  But you
lose your calibration unless you can read the old ones and then program the
new ones.  Be sure to put in sockets when you replace the NVRAM.  Why HP
didn't do this is beyond me.  Precision machined sockets hold the NVRAMS so
tightly that it is almost impossible to get them out.  Someone suggested
that the weight of the NVRAM devices might allow them to come out of the
sockets during shipment but I just don't see how with the proper sockets.
It sounds like DC and Ohms are working OK.  Passing self test is a good
sign.

Bill