[volt-nuts] Good quality but reasonably priced 4mm plugs?

Tony vnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 19:44:53 EDT 2014

Can anyone recommend some decent banana plugs, preferably stackable, for
making up test leads? There don't appear to be many different types on
Ebay - the cheapest have a single screw connection which loosens off at
the drop of a hat, and in any case the plug, at 16mm, is too short for
my HP 34401A.

There are plenty of more expensive, audio type plugs which may be better
quality but almost invariably have all metal, uninsulated bodies - not
good when plugged into a high current power supply!

I'd like some which I'd be happy to put 6, 8 or even 10amps through, eg.
for low-ohm measurements, but also be good for low level or precision
measurements. Would screwed, crimped or soldered connectors be best? I
believe crimped joints can be best for low thermal EMFs - at least until
the copper wires start to oxidise.

I know Pomona make some decent connectors but the prices are quite steep
- I don't really want to spend more than $4 or so for a pair if
possible. Maybe I need to spend more for some low thermal EMF connectors
or leads and use cheaper ones for general purpose and higher current
usage, but I'm not prepared to spend $100 or so for a pair of low
thermal HP leads.

I'm in the UK so USA suppliers have a big disadvantage because of the
high shipping costs and the tax and customs handling charges which
rarely seem to apply to Chinese goods.

What do you use?

Thanks,
   Tony