[volt-nuts] Low Thermal EMF Test Lead Stuff

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Tue Aug 19 22:46:27 EDT 2014

Stan wrote:

>Discussion of proper lash ups of cal. instruments to home built
>devices, or even work prototypes, would be very welcome by me. I
>have read Analog Devices AN-347, but a tutorial with problems that
>the student must complete the lash ups for, would give me a better
>idea if I've grasped the subject matter. There are two text books
>mentioned at the end of AN-347, one by Morrison, the other by Ott.
>Any suggestion as to which to buy?

Todd suggested Fluke's "Calibration: Philosophy in
Practice."  Unfortunately, the first edition (the one available free
on-line) has very little on grounding, shielding, and guarding (only
3 or 4 pages).  The second edition (pricey, and I don't know of a
free source) has a much more in depth treatment.  Ch.33 (15pp) is
devoted to grounding, shielding, and guarding, and you'd want to read
Ch.33 (14pp, "parasitics") and some other subsections, as well.

I think the Fluke second edition is probably the best available
practical guide to grounding, shielding, and guarding, so that is
where I'd suggest you go next, based on what you said above about
your needs.  I'd buy it in preference to either Morrison or Ott if
what you are most interested in is a practical guide that explains
what to do and why.  I have a manual from an HP seminar on the
subject that is excellent, but I haven't seen it available on-line.

After the Fluke book, if you are still looking for materials, I think
you'd probably find Morrison's treatment more geared to your needs
than Ott's (which is not to say it is a "better" book overall).

Best regards,

Charles