[volt-nuts] volt-nuts Digest, Vol 64, Issue 4

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Thu Dec 4 16:00:33 EST 2014

Hi,

We have the professional Eagle at work. I also own a pro copy at home.
The learning curve is a bit steep, but we have done some pretty neat
stuff with it. It's more than paid for itself at home and at work. It's
not really a cheap cad package, but it's also not the high end cad. Sort
of a middle of the road. Same sort of issues with CAD/CAM packages for
CNC also.

As for auto routers, none of them really work all that well IMO. Even
the high end cad packages struggle with it. It's really hard to do in an
autorouter what a good RF or analog engineer does in his mind, so that's
to be expected I guess.

As for upgrading, we also experienced upgrade issue going from Ver5 to
Ver7. And from Ver3.5 to Ver4.16, and from 2 to...
This last upgrade from Ver5 to Ver7 we had trouble with 126 of about
1000 schematic/board sets. About half of those were things guys had done
stupid. However the XML format allowed editing of most of the files, and
after about 2 days everything was upgraded successfully to ver7. So,
yeah, pretty painful.

The one thing I will say about Eagle, is the few questions I've had were
answered with a quick phone call. Not sure if KiCAD has phone support or
not. In a business environment, that can be worth a lot.

When you do the new board with KiCAD, be sure to post some results to
your induction list. I'd like to hear how it works out...

Dan