[volt-nuts] The "averaging reference"

Joel Setton setton at free.fr
Sat Dec 20 16:17:57 EST 2014

Jan,

Thanks for a good summary f the pros/cons. Of course the LTZ1000 is much
closer to the current state of the art, but the REF102 is far easier to
use and to calibrate. I'm definitely not shooting for sub-ppm
performance, if I can build anything that stays within (say) 20 ppm
long-term, that would be more than adequate as a home standard.

I wasn't aware of the degraded long-term drift performance in the
plastic packages, as compared to the metal can. I'm surprised they can't
protect the chip from package-induced effects!

One thing I don't like about the LM199 and LTZ1000 is that although they
are stable, they are sold uncalibrated. As a result, building a 10-V
reference with either of them would require at least two very stable
resistors, one of which must be selected within a range of several
percent to get an accurate 10V output. Most of the DVMs I have seen with
the LM199 / LTZ1000 use "soft calibration" in which the calibration
coefficient is stored in memory, and the voltage measurement is
performed in ratiometric mode. Building a 10V reference is a rather
different problem.

As before, comments and suggestions will be welcomed!

Joel Setton