[volt-nuts] "averaging reference" / "Perfect Volt"

Joel Setton setton at free.fr
Mon Dec 22 03:50:48 EST 2014

Frank (and all!),

These are all very valid questions.

The context is a hobby activity, and the purpose of the reference
voltage is to have something which is good enough to calibrate, for
example, a 30-year old DVM after restoring or repairing it. With
currently available reference chips, 3 1/2 digits is relatively easy, 4
1/2 digits is much more difficult, and 5 1/2 digits is almost completely
out of reach. And as with many physical measurements, you may have
access to an external standard at a given point in time (for example
with help from a fellow volt-nuts list member), but after this initial
calibration the stability of your reference over time becomes important
since you can't send it out for recalibration every year.

The nice thing about the REF102 is that it's relatively easy to use, and
averaging several chips is easy. But as I understand from previous
replies, maybe it wouldn't match the long-term stability of an LM399.

Obviously Josephson junction technology is out of the picture, since
cost and practical feasibility are in the top of the requirements list.
The only commodities which are freely available to the average hobbyist
are time and creativity. And of course the ultimate goal of the Perfect
Volt will never be reached, but improving your previous design is what a
hobby is all about!

Joel