[volt-nuts] HP 3456A -3 Fault

ed breya eb at telight.com
Sun Dec 28 14:28:57 EST 2014

I agree these caps are the most failure-prone parts in the 3456A, and
also the 3455A. Sometimes they also cause damage to other parts like
the associated three-terminal regulators. Don't be surprised if
there's still more to fix after cap replacement - but usually easy to find.

I had one where an LM339 status comparator was shot - I suspected
over-voltage or reversal of an input polarity during the cap failure,
even though it wasn't obvious how it could have done that. The
diagnostics instructions in the manual worked very well and led
quickly to the faulty part.

Ed