[volt-nuts] Fluke 732A Questions

Bill Gold wpgold3637 at att.net
Wed Jan 1 11:37:48 EST 2014

Joe:

    A correction on the dropout voltage when the "In Cal" light goes out, I
found my notes and it is 21 volts instead of 22 volts.  The way I did this
was to remove the battery pack, AC voltage and then just feed in a power
supply where the battery pack would have delivered it's voltage to the
back-plane mother board.  Then I just reduced the voltage until the light
turned off.  So that means that Fluke was following the battery
manufacturers specs of 5.25 volts at the end of the discharge curve.

    The banana jacks on the battery pack have two jobs.  One is to provide a
very good chassis ground to the battery pack and the other is probably to
guide the pack accurately into the mother board.  One other thing I have
found out the hard way is that the holes in the top plate of the battery
pack where the battery terminals come through are very close to the battery
terminals and can short out to the chassis.  I have made the holes a LOT
bigger to avoid this problem.  This really depends upon the brand of
batteries you are using but after having to repair the regulator board I
would rather be safe than sorry.

    I have 6 Pomona 1756-48 low thermal leads for when I need to be careful
with thermals.  I also have made my own "low thermal"    (I think) using
Pomona 4892 gold plated double banana plugs and Belden 9272 twisted pair
twinax, using a Pomona 1825 for the ground lead.  If I need single banana
plugs to connect to the 732A I use Pomona 4897 gold plated.  I know that
this isn't the best possible low thermal because the wire is tin plated but
I have looked and I can't find a good source of bare copper twisted pair
shielded wire.  When I am making measurements with the home made cables I
just wait a few minutes for the thermals to settle down.  Why Belden 9272?
It was the best choice from what was available at work.  From what I have
seen Pomona was acquired by Fluke and makes special low thermal cables for
Fluke that are not available through the Pomona catalog.

    When you find out from Fluke what services they offer and prices please
let all of us know.

Bill