[volt-nuts] What makes a HP3458A so expensive

John Phillips john.phillips0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 11:35:12 EST 2014

I do know the reference boards are burnt in and stability data analyzed to
select the ones that will make it into meters. They are also stored hot. If
the board is turned off its stability degrades. Agilent had a bad batch of
high stability boards when manufacturing was moved off shore because as
soon as they met speck they were harvested to make room for more boards.
The some of the harvested boards drifted out of spec. The fix was to leave
them powered up in a meter for 3 mo. to get back to spec. You should never
turn a 3458A off. The longer it is on the more stable it gets.

John Phillips