[volt-nuts] AC Voltage Measurement Standards

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 21:56:51 EDT 2014

I am no expert but there are some interesting ways of measuring AC.  I assume we are discussing true RMS.

Well, you have to have a frequency range in mind.  The more accurate you want to get, the wider the bandwidth, as only a small amount of VHF noise, for instance, still adds to the RMS.  Do you want to include the DC component?

So thermal is a good solution, although it gets cumbersome, especially for high accuracy.  Temperature measurement, thermal insulation, and all sorts of other complications enter.

Anyway, while I have an engineering degree and many years of experience, this is a specialized field and needs pertinent experience, a good physics background, and much more.  Of which I only have a smattering.

I am eager to follow any discussion on the subject.

Bob