[volt-nuts] Matched resistors

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Thu Jul 24 00:36:40 EDT 2014

Do you have easy, low cost access to an old Fluke 801 or 803 differential
voltmeter?  These meters have a Kelvin-Varley divider inside that is
composed of strings of resistors that are highly matched in value and
tempco.  If I remember correctly, the highest decade is filled with a string
of 40K resistors, each succeeding smaller decade value is 1/5 of the next
higher decade, but all very well matched. They should all be very well aged
by now too. (Just like wine... they get better with age).
Perhaps you could mix & match values to come up with suitable resistors for
your project.  If your project is a one-off deal, then perhaps that approach
could prove viable.

Cheers,
Dave M