[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A: Return it or keep it? - 3458A

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Jun 14 07:30:20 EDT 2014

Roy,

The 3458A is quite the instrument.  I'm not familiar with the latest
'plug-in/power-up' devices of which you speak.  I suspect you have Rev 9.2.
Mine have the single chip EPROM, through-hole, A5 board.  I suspect yours
has the SMT version.

If you have just had Agilent calibrate the meter, it is now eligible for the
Repair Agreement for $178.68 per year.  You can buy up to 5 year's worth and
get a slight discount, 4% or so, IIRC.

Might be worth considering.

Gary Bierman at Agilent Loveland told me about that.  When I called Agilent
to purchase that, they were a bit skeptical.  However, when I told them that
Gary Bierman told me it was possible, they got on the phone to talk to
someone and then readily sold me the agreement.  Not a bad price to cover a
potentially expensive repair, especially if you plan to leave it on 24/7/365
and you don't know it's history.

Good luck.

Joe