[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A: Return it or keep it?

Michael Hong mikeyahee at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 19:19:24 EST 2014

Hi nuts,
This is my first message. Just reading the posted messages is a big learning to me so I didn't post but instead trying to read all.

Here is my issue.

I received a Fluke 732A yesterday which was purchased from an eBay seller.

(1)
I plugged in and started measuring the 3 voltages and thermistor resistance value.
After about 2 hours later all 3 voltages were stabilized and thermistor value stabilized after 24 hours.

All voltages and thermistor values were measured on a HP 3457 which was calibrated and certified by a local cal lab 10 months ago. Here is how I measure: After changing the connection to a different voltage I wait 30 second. I start STAT and wait 1 minute and R MEAN.

10V      (10.000360 36.0ppm, 360uV)
1V        (1.0000383 38.3ppm, 38.3uV)
1.018V  (1.0180200 20ppm, 20uV)

According to the manual adjustable(calibration) ranges are:
10V     5ppm 50uV
1V       5ppm 5uV
1.018   50ppm 50uV

So obviously either 732A or 3457A is wrong.
I tried to contact the person who calibrated the HP 3457A. No response.

(2)
No light on BTRY CHG and IN CAL
Rear panel Battery Operation switch is on.

(3)
Front panel calibration hole
I put a thin flat blade driver into the holes. I couldn't feel anything until 4 1/4" inside where I felt something but not the potentiometer.

I offered to the seller that if I find the 732A is no problem but only requires the new battery, refunding $150 for the battery will close the deal. All other case, I return the item.

He responded "Just return it."

My questions:
(1) Which one is wrong the DMM or 732A?
(2) What is the cheapest battery replacement cost?
(3) Were the calibration mechanism removed or they are there? In manual I couldn't find any detailed description or diagram of it.

Last, I paid $650 plus $35 shipping. Do you think it is worth without battery, if voltages are in the range?

Michael