[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A: Return it or keep it?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Mar 8 08:50:55 EST 2014

Charles,

Thanks for the info on batteries.  I agree, some are definitely better than
others.  However, I'm no 'connoisseur' of batteries yet.  The 732A I got was
'unknown working condition' and I wanted the cheapest batteries I could find
to test the unit and see if I could get it up and running.  So far, it looks
good.

Do you wind up having to re-solder some of the battery wires in the battery
module in order to use the 12 V 5 AH batteries or will they just swing to
the other side since it appears that the (+) and (-) terminals will wind up
on the same side, instead of opposite sides with the 6 V 4.5 AH batteries?

I have not faced the shipping question yet, but, as David pointed out, there
is an issue with shipping batteries.  I suspect it could be shipped but
would be ground and, therefore, need a huge battery in order to get it to
the other side of the country 'hot'.  I recall reading some thoughts on
current drain for the unit when on batteries but I do not remember what it
was.  Clearly, it should be at a minimum, and therefore the battery should
last the longest, when already 'hot' when removed from AC power.  Has anyone
done that experiment?  I live in NW FL and I am not aware of Cal Labs in my
neighborhood that could do the work.  Atlanta, perhaps?  Does anyone have a
recommendation of a capable Cal facility 'close by' to NW FL?

Short of sending it to Fluke or another facility, I will be limited to using
my Agilent Cal'd 3458A to 'adjust' the 732A, then 'tracking' the 732A from
year to year as the 3458A comes back from Cal.

I paid less than Michael and more than you for my unit but it seems to work.
I have seen these sell on theBay for $450 and up.

Joe