[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Mon Mar 10 08:38:15 EDT 2014

Thomas wrote:

>If I send a 732A to Fluke and have it calibrated, and you stop by
>with yours shortly after mine returns, has a day or so to settle,
>and appear correct with my 3458A, you could then calibrate your 732A
>using of mine and feel fairly confident you standard is also a few
>PPM from 10 volts. Now lets stay you repeat this with another
>Volt-Nut when his standard returns. You do not have documents
>proving the accuracy of your standard because none of the standards
>used are parts of a accredited lab,

Documentation and accreditation are two entirely different
things.  In this case, the documentation would be the informal, "on
[date] I compared and adjusted this standard to Thomas's 732A that
was just back from calibration and sanity-checked with a 3458A, using
a [Fluke 845A null meter, or whatever]."  Knowing the published
uncertainties of the 732A, I can even calculate the uncertainty of my
732A as of the moment of calibration, and at intervals thereafter
based on the published uncertainties.

Checking against another recently-calibrated 732A at a later date can
confirm or deny that mine remains within the published uncertainty at
that time.  If it does, that fact becomes part of my (informal)
documentation.  If it doesn't, the presumption is that one of the
732As is broken.  We can suspect that it is mine, but we cannot know
that without further testing.

Best regards,

Charles