[volt-nuts] The Art of Electronics

Marv @ Home marvin.gozum at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 15:25:35 EDT 2015

When AoE was released in 1980, the intended audience was electronics
for a non-EE major.  How this morphed into an engineering text shows
how what is 'core' has changed.  It had a friendly style, akin to
having a instructor with you.  AoE was best read in chapter sequence
through the fundamentals, and higher chapters expect readers to know
material from previous chapters without reference to it.  On occasion
it used concepts a jump forward but could be figured out by cross
referencing its index.  It was a semester course for us back in early 1980s.

AoE v2 updated more in the digital domain with many corrected errata
and typos from V1.

I'd wait for V3 2nd printing or later, as typos from 1st printing are
being reported as well as I read references to unpublished chapter
"Xs" not in this printing.

T&S is an excellent text, if you already know the material and just
need a refresher.  It gets to the point quickly.

Only 2 T&S editions were translated to English; German has ?10+
editions.  The only edition I ever looked at in print was v1, and it
was $180+ in 1990s, compared to $50 for AoE new, or $20+ used.  T&S
used in the USA is harder to find, and few V1 I've seen sell near $100+.

Student or someone with a cursory interest, cost, writing style and
similar breadth could be a tie breaker, AoE V3 sells for ~$100
delivered, and V2 $20-30 used.  T&S V2 from 2008 is ~$US260 delivered.