[volt-nuts] hp 3456a ohms calibration

Ken Goodhew kgoodhew at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 30 13:52:20 EDT 2015

I have been trying to check the calibration of my HP3456A multimeter.

I can check and set the DC volts calibration ok but when I try and set the
ohms calibration using standard resistors I cannot get a steady reading as
the display varies by several digits regardless of the value of the
resistance being used to check the meter.

I have already changed most of the power supply filter capacitors to see if
this solved the problem, which it did not.

The only capacitors I have not changed are the two larger ones that tested
ok for capacitance and esr.

Any suggestions as what the problem may be or where I am going wrong in my
calibration attempts?

Thanks,

Ken Goodhew.

VK2TKE.