[volt-nuts] Building a high resolution DAC

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Aug 17 12:19:49 EDT 2015

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:38:37 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> >You mean the AD7177-2? That seems to be quite hard to get by.
>
> I was thinking of the TI part intended for seismic applications.

Hmm. The ADS1262 does indeed seem quite easily available.

> >My goal was to stay below 30-40USD for the whole DAC if possible.
> >But yes.. it might not be possible.
>
> I don't think it is.  The necessary voltage reference will set you
> back almost that much...

I thought about using the LT1021. I don't need the long term
stability of the LTZ1000 and the LT1021 is available for less than 10USD.

But from the discussion here, think i have to go back and see whether
i really need such an high resolution or whether 20bit wouldnt be already
enough. Then i could get away with a 20bit DAC like the DAC1220.

Thanks

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.