[volt-nuts] Building a high resolution DAC

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Mon Aug 17 13:34:25 EDT 2015

Hi,

20 bits is ~1ppm resolution. 1ppm is pushing stability for most
references, is it not? I would think that at 24bit or more the reference
is more of an issue than the DAC itself. As I recall, sub PPM/C
references already eat up your budget and then some! One would guess
that as soon the fundamental question of how to build one is answered,
the details would quickly stack up against you.

If the control loop is very slow (I'm making the assumption this would
be used as oscillator steering EFC signal...), long term drift in the
minutes to hours range would be important, and PPM/C becomes more
critical than noise, as the higher frequency stuff could be filtered out.

A few PPM reference, some PPM resistors, circuit traces and
temperature/humidity affecting the circuit board could add up VERY
quickly.

Also, once I clear up a few projects here, I would be interested
participating in such a project!

Dan