[volt-nuts] Anyone know how to make stable inductors?

acbern at gmx.de acbern at gmx.de
Thu Aug 20 03:29:21 EDT 2015

Thats a great document, and certainly is a supperior method than doing some DIY coils, provided very stable resistors and capacitors are used. Resistors is straightforward. As capacitors, mica glass is recommended. There are some NOS russian mica high rel capacitors available for little money. I have used those as standards, however I have no history yet, since I only have the inital cal data, second cal verification is still pending, but since they are hermetic, and provided they are used at a constant temperature, should be very good.

It also annoys me that I would have to send C/L meters to calibration regularly. So having own standards is a solution, provided they are stable. Actually, the HP service manual of the older meters says no need to do L verification, as the measurement principle ensures that when doing C verifcation, L automatically is covered, since no good L standards for higher frequencies are available (which seems not really true as we have learnt). Should be true for the 4284A measurement principle too, but I have not checked.

The next question then is, how do you ensure that the drift of these DIY capacitors is good (it is just an assumption they are stable, and 50ppm per year is a challange!!. The IET 1404 primary standards are <20/<40ppm only!!). Actually 50ppm may be pretty hard with anything else than a invar air capacitor. Now these hermetic invar 1404 air capacitors are availabe from time to time on ebay (also ESI SC1000), and thay have that guaranteed low drift over years. Most often they are quite expensive, but from time to time ony pops up at a reasonable price, got mine for about 500 usd. They could be used as a gold standard for at least one value. Together with an inductive decade transformer bridge other capacitances could be calibrated (the decade transformer principle ensures inherent calibration).
And third, one could build up a quadrature bridge and refer a capacitor to a resitor which can easily be measured. Thats how the national labs work to define capacitance values down to the sub-ppm accuracy (besids using calculable capacitors). Building such a quadrature bridge with relatively high accuracy (10E-5 at 10nF) is not too difficult, provided one has a decavider 7 digit ac voltage divider (e.g. for AC voltage calibration purposes) and a dual channel digital 16 bit DDS in the lab anyway.