[volt-nuts] Anyone know how to make stable inductors?

Ed Breya eb at telight.com
Fri Aug 21 13:06:35 EDT 2015

Sorry about the previous double-posting - had email problems.

There is another option that occurred to me last night, to get an
equivalent inductor from an accurate reference capacitor by using an
active circuit gyrator. The problem of course is that the circuit will
add errors too, diminishing performance. Also, for four-port use, the
circuit would have to be battery-powered, and float within the fixture,
adding more parasitics.

I could experiment with such a circuit fairly easily since I use my
ground-converter for nearly all measurements, so the gyrator would not
have to float. All in all though, it still seems that just using a
capacitor and resulting negative inductance readout is the simplest and
most accurate approach.

Ed