[volt-nuts] Checking an LCR meter

Will willvolts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 05:25:02 EST 2015

We have a Wayne Kerr B905 (0.05% basic accuracy), ESI 2150 (0.02%) and
HP 4284A (0.1%) at work. They have the same working principle of
course but are very different from the calibration point of view.

The WK and ESI units have no calibration trimmers inside or user
accessible software constants. The service manuals have no calibration
instructions either, just a few checking procedures to make sure that
there is no fault.

The accurary relies on crystal frequency and stable range resistors.
WK uses Vishay bulk metal foil and ESI their own mica card resistors
(similar to SR1 resistance standards). The lifetime drift of these
resistors is a magnitude lower than the best accuracy of the meter.
Both units were manufactured in the early 80's and are still within
the specs. No repairs or adjustments ever made. They are regularly
checked against a set of 3 terminal bulk metal foil resistors
(calibrated with a 3458A) and a GR 1404A nitrogen filled standard
capacitor (which visits the national lab).

There is a huge different with our HP 4284A (and other HP Yokogawa
impedance line products as far as I know) which needs to be adjusted
in yearly basis. Could be the 1 MHz frequency range which requires a
number of trimmers and more complex circuitry but also seems to ruin
the stablity.

We also use the ESI 2150 to get a traceable inductance calibration
based on traceable resistance and capacitance (and frequency). The ESI
2150 inductance specifications (after the checking procedures for
capacitance and resistance) are similar to the best uncertainty
available from the high level labs.