[volt-nuts] 3458A reference boards on ebay

John Phillips john.phillips0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:54:48 EST 2015

RE: "One seller,  with the two high stability reference boards at $750,
claims
that they come from working and recently calibrated 3458As. Why would
anyone wreck a working and recently calibrated 3458A?
​"​

Some contracts may require the more stable reference and the standard
reference is pulled to make room for the option 002.

I know I have done that at lest 30 times.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2015 09:47, "Orin Eman" <orin.eman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There is a seller letting a slow trickle of them out there... they seem
> > be going for about $165.  The current batch of two is around $100, but
> will
> > probably be bid up.
>
> I am puzzled why there are so many reference boards that are supposed to
> come from 3458As on the used market. It makes me wonder if they are
> genuine.
>
> One seller,  with the two high stability reference boards at $750, claims
> that they come from working and recently calibrated 3458As. Why would
> anyone wreck a working and recently calibrated 3458A?
>
> It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that a 3458A might be worth more
> in parts than as a complete unit. I know this is true for some HP items,
> but I doubt that is the case with a 3458A.
>
> Another seller,  who has them at $395 "or offer", has sold 17 and has 11
> left.
>
> Although expensive,  having two and monitoring the difference between them
> would probably allow their stability to be measured with a DVM of modest
> specification.
>
> There are lots of counterfeit components around,  and I fear that it could
> be some of these boards could fall into that category.  This makes the
> building a board from new components more attractive.  In the short term it
> is likely to be less stable than an old reference,  but at least one would
> know the history of it. If the components were sourced from reliable
> sources, it would get around the  potential counterfeit problem.
>
> Dave.

*John Phillips*