[volt-nuts] Fluke 5200A instability...

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Jul 29 09:27:17 EDT 2015

Hi Tom,

That's an idea, but they didn't use any.  They used a lot of tantalums...
a mix of the orange drop style, and the hermetically sealed axial leaded
variety.  Some are operated disgustingly close to the voltage ratings...
and some are used in that suspicious back-to-back way of making an NP
tantalum cap.... but no aluminum electrolytics are used anywhere in the
signal paths... just tantalum, mylar, and silver mica.

But, I will look again...

As always, I found that the half dozen, or so, Mexican made electrolytics
were very bad, so they went away.  They were used in the power supply,
and to slow down some TTL gates that drive relays.

I have to wonder why a company that routinely used high quality Sprague
tantalums, and electrolytics would toss in a few of these Mexican timebombs.

-Chuck Harris