[volt-nuts] "*WAY* too expensive for even Keysight to redesign"

ben ben at veritechmeasurements.com.au
Thu May 14 09:56:09 EDT 2015

Overall,  I agree that a voltmeter such as the 3458A may not be cost
effective any more to redesign all functions from the ground up.

Consider that Fluke has re-released the Datron 1281 as its 8508 voltmeter.
A quick view of the specs shows that Fluke has made marginal improvements
to the DC volt side, good improvements to the DC current and Resistance
side, but largely left the AC volt and AC current performance alone. Never
mind the 8508A 20A current range, which seems to me like a bolted on
afterthought.

Fluke has added functionality for PRT measurements, and replaced the vacuum
display with an LCD. Does anyone want to check if Fluke kept the 68000
processor and its architecture ?

regards,
ben